Modern music therapy began after WW I and WW II, when community musicians went to veteran hospitals to play for thousands of veterans suffering both physical and emotional trauma from war.
Source: American Music Therapy Association
Playing. Learning. Growing.
At AWS, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to play and grow. That's why we offer music and recreation therapy among our services.
Additionally, AWS employs highly trained, board-certified music and recreation therapists who work with individuals to meet their personal goals.
Music therapy engages the whole person and stimulates all senses. Each musical element — rhythm, lyrics and melody — evokes responses that affect one's cognitive, emotional and physical abilities. In fact, it is a proven and effective way to help people with disabilities develops new skills.
However, benefits go beyond music. Through vocal and instrumental music, the therapy helps build non-musical skills such as:
- Physical endurance
- Attention span
- Enhanced memory
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Emotional expression
- Stress management
In AWS' Recreation Therapy program, we help people grow as they play — whether through arts and crafts, community outings, swimming, games, sports or other activities.
The benefits of Recreation Therapy are many. In addition to being fun, the therapy inspires confidence, independence and helps to build other skills including:
- Refines gross motor skills for strength and stability that benefit walking, standing or sitting comfortably
- Enhances fine motor skills for better eye-hand coordination important to daily activities
- Sharpens mental abilities and increases concentration — enabling the individual to make better decisions, as well as delineating between needs and wants
- Improves verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Develops social and leisure skills for building a well-rounded personal life
At AWS, our clients come first. With diverse programming and flexible hours, you can choose what option works best. With diverse programming and flexible hours, you can choose what option works best.